I don't fry much at all, but these are really good and this time of year we have lots of okra!
Original recipe from allrecipes.com
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 pound okra, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Ener-G egg replacer prepared for 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Heat oil in a large skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the okra, onion, salt, pepper, water and egg replacer. Combine the flour, baking powder and cornmeal; and stir that into the okra mixture.
- Carefully drop spoonfuls of the okra batter into the hot oil, and fry on each side until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.