Saturday, December 29, 2007

Egg Free Dairy Free Pancakes

These pancakes are AWESOME!! We had them Christmas morning and they were gone quickly! Jeff even asked for them again recently. I found the original recipe on Kylie's Blog and with her permission, here's my ever-so-slightly tweaked version:

1 cup Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 cup plain or vanilla milk substitute (we love Almond in this recipe)
1.5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract


Her Instructions:

Sift flour and baking soda/powder and salt. (Sifting makes the pancakes fluffier.)

Add sugar. (Whisk these together is you don't have a sifter.)

Add Vanilla and Oil and half the soy milk. Whisk together.

Gradually add the rest of the soy milk until thick pouring consistency.

Heat Frying pan - needs to be reasonably hot. I used vegetable oil - but you could use spray. Oil/spray for each pancake - they do stick otherwise. I found with this recipe the pancakes worked best if they were on the small side. If the were too big they were difficult to turn.


What I did:

I used a skillet and heated it to 250, sprayed with olive oil. I used a 1/4 cup to make 2 pancakes to keep them small as she suggested. Yield: 16 wonderful little pancakes just right for my boys' hands! :)


7 comments:

Melissa said...

Also, Jiffy muffin mix (little blue box) doubles as pancakes, and I believe it is the Aunt Jemima brand that can be made with water instead of milk, of course you can substitute soy milk - in the event pancake making needs to be quick.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your recipe! It was delicious and my toddler gobbled them up.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Jenn ~ so glad you enjoyed them! They are a big hit at our house, too!

Julia said...

Do you know if rice or flax milk will be an ok substitute for the soy?

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Julia ~

I have not tried either in this recipe, but I think it should work. Maybe a little less of the rice milk, though, since it is so much thinner? (I'm not familiar with flax milk, so I can't comment on that... sorry)

Becky
BoysRuleMyLife

Angie said...

Julia- we use rice milk, the same amount as listed and it turns out just fine. :)

Tina said...

My daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs so these pancakes are awesome for us! We use oat milk or almond milk in ours. Anyone who has had them has loved them.