Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dairy- Free Egg-Free Yellow Squash Muffins (repost)

I thought I'd repost this recipe as we've got a plethora of yellow squash about to come in and I figure you probably do to! :)
**************************************

This recipe is featured on Allergy Sense and Yellow Squash on Foodista


I found the original hand-written recipe on a piece of notebook paper in a cookbook that I purchased at a yard sale. Because Witt is allergic to eggs, I substituted 1/4 c applesauce for each egg and they turned out great! (and without apple flavor)

(For a healthier version of these muffins, click here.)



2 lb Yellow Squash (about 8)
1/2 c Applesauce
1 c melted DF Margarine
1 c White Sugar
3 c AP Flour
1 Tbs + 2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda

Boil squash until tender. Drain. Return to pot and mash.

Measure 2 cups of squash into another bowl. Add applesauce and margarine. Mix. Add remaining ingredients. Mix. Fill ungreased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 350 until lightly golden brown; about 15 - 20 minutes.

2 comments:

christine said...

This is a lovely Yellow Squash Muffins. It looks awesome to think you replaced the eggs with spplesauce. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

Allergy Mum said...

I LOVE that you found the original recipe on a piece of notebook paper in a cookbook that you purchased at a yard sale. It sounds wonderful
Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/