Monday, December 7, 2009

Dairy Free Fudge

Speaking of fudge... we were speaking of fudge, right? Well, I was thinking about it anyway...

:)

I ran across this fudge when I was searching for a recipe to get more coconut oil in my boys because of their eczema AND wanting to get some local honey in them for their environmental allergies.

I found a perfect recipe for that!!! Original from amanda123ns at allrecipes.com.



HALF recipe:

1/2 c coconut oil (I used extra virgin)
1/2 c cocoa
1/4 c honey (local to you if possible)

Gently melt the coconut oil to liquid if it's in the solid state. Combine liquid coconut oil and cocoa until smooth. Mix in honey. Refrigerate for at least one hour (or until preferred hardness) in a lightly greased container. (I greased a stainless steel bowl with coconut oil.)

Add some almonds and you'll have a Mounds Bar! I'm also wondering if a little Sunbutter might be good mixed in? Maybe next time!

Forgot to take a picture as it was eaten too quickly. :)

7 comments:

Autismland Penny said...

Becky, I love you!!!! LOgan was so upset recently to discover that he couldn't have a Mounds bar (he hadn't noticed them before). He will love this and I have all the ingredients on had! Sweet!

Anonymous said...

We love 'healthy fudge'! I've add crispy slivered almonds and vanilla and we loved it. I've also added peanut butter and it was a big hit also. Any way of getting CO into the family is helpful! :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

I saw this recipe and was dying to try it! Thanks for testing it out Becky :)

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Your welcome! :)

Kristi Losby said...

What is the purpose of eating honey from a local source?

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Kristi~

Basically, if you are using local honey you are getting small amounts of local allergens into your body. These amounts are small enough to (generally) not cause an allergic reaction, but give your body an opportunity to fight the allergen and build up a better immunity. If you click the link "local honey" in the post, it will bring your to a great article that explains it better.

Thanks for asking! Great question!

Unknown said...

Hi Becky! Thanks for the recipe. Thankfully, my kids don't have the allergy - just me. And I really don't like coconut. I can take a mild taste (I use the coconut milk coffee creamer and ice cream), but I've never used coconut oil and you say the fudge tastes like a Mounds bar, which I have never liked. Would this recipe be okay using some other type of oil or melted DF margarine as a substitute or will it only work with coconut oil?
Thanks so much!
Michelle