Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet Potato Oven Fries

I have tried many ways of cooking these and finally decided on one I like... crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside and oh so yummy! :)

Ingredients

sweet potatoes (scrubbed or peeled)
coconut oil, melted
salt
pepper


Preheat oven to 400F.

Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges about 2 -3 inches long. Place on a cookie sheet.

You'll need just enough melted coconut oil to coat the potatoes. Pour the coconut oil over the potatoes and toss to coat. Generously salt & pepper; toss again.

Arrange wedges on the cookie sheet so that they are not touching and that one of the cut edges is face down.

Bake until cut side of the sweet potatoes touching the baking sheet is crusty and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and carefully turn sweet potatoes with a thin metal spatula. Bake until the second cut side of the wedge now touching the pan is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Use the metal spatula to transfer the sweet potatoes to a platter and serve the oven-fried potatoes immediately.

adapted from Perfect Vegetables

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Sorry to bug you so much today! Why coconut oil in the recipes? I have it at home and have used it in the past for my husband and I, but haven't used it with the baby...honestly haven't taken the time to research how it ranks on the allergen list.

thanks!

SAHM said...

I do basically the same thing on these as you do, but I use olive oil instead of coconut oil. I may have to try using coconut oil on them sometime.