Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dairy-Free Egg-Free Spice Cake

I found the original recipe at allrecipes.com

I omitted the raisins and doubled the spices. The cake is very dense and moist, however it tasted even better when I added the DF cream cheese frosting! I devoured the cake. Yes, me. Well, mostly me. The kids had a bite or two. It was after all, my birthday cake (and a test for Witt's birthday cake). Here's my recipe:



  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  1. In a saucepan combine the shortening, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove form heat and let stand until cool.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking pan or two round pans.
  3. Stir the flour and baking soda into the cooled spice mixture and mix until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes.

No comments: