Thursday, May 29, 2008

Green Smoothies

There's no "real" recipe for these, it's just a hodgepodge of veggies and fruits. However, I have learned that I like the veggies to be liquefied, so I generally add them first with about 2 - 4 cups of water and blend. Then I add my fruits and other ingredients. Blend again. (I love the liquefy button!) I like to drink mine with a straw especially when I'm adding more greens and removing some fruit.

Here are the foods I've used in my green smoothies (not all at the same time... different combinations each day):

Veggies
Spinach
Kale
Mustard Greens (don't like)
Collard Greens
Yellow Squash
Zucchini
Snow peas
Snap peas
carrots
avocado

Fruits (fresh or frozen)
apples
pears
bananas
peaches
pineapple
mango
kiwi
strawberries
oranges
blueberries
raspberries/blackberries (don't like because the seeds never really go away)

Other
Milled Flax Seed
Wheat germ (very little... I don't like the taste)
Hemp seed
Stevia
Frozen orange concentrate
Vanilla
Cinnamon (just a little... too much will numb your tongue... trust me.)
Vanilla Soy/Rice Milk


Basically anything will do. Fruits and veggies don't have a chance to go bad around here anymore!

I haven't tried a savory green smoothie yet (garlic, onion, other veggies, no fruit).
Have you?

1 comment:

Kristen's Raw said...

I love green smoothies! Yum! And, I'm crazy for hemp food products, too.

Cheers,
Kristen