Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pizza Dough

This is a quick, no-rise pizza dough. I altered the original so much, I think I'm going to call it mine. :) I would like to continue increasing the whole wheat flour in this recipe, but I think for now it's at a good starting point.

(If you want a crust that is completely whole wheat, I recommend this one... although I decreased the wheat germ content when I made it. The kids weren't too fond of that dough, so I came up with this one below which they really liked.)

2 cups AP unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used the white wheat)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 package)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 - 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp melted lard or olive oil
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp honey
1 cup warm water (110 F)

Combine flours, yeasts, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl; stir to combine. Min the remaining ingredients. Knead dough until all flour is mixed in thoroughly (about 3 - 5 minutes, I suppose).

Roll out crust onto a large pizza pan. Top as desired.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. If using dairy-free cheese topping, you'll need to turn the broiler on HI after the 20 minutes for about 2 - 4 minutes longer to get the cheese to melt.

Pizza Sauce here (substitute nutritional yeast for Parmesan cheese)

1 comment:

SAHM said...

I have just found your blog and I am bookmarking it. My 3 year old son has life threatening milk and peanut allergies. He was allergic to eggs but has since outgrown it. In fact, eggs have only been back in our diet for about 9 months. I am looking forward to trying those Yellow Squash Muffins when my squash plants are ready to yield some yummy fresh goodies. I am so glad that I found your blog!