Friday, June 5, 2009

Follow Your Heart - Vegan Gourmet Cheese

Since I have tried so many dairy free products, I thought I'd start offering a review of them. "Cheese" is a good place to start, don't you think? :)



This brand of cheese is available in Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterrey jack, and Nacho.


I use this cheese to top our pizzas as it really does melt and have a good mozzarella taste. However, after the cheese begins to cool, it starts to return to its more solid state, but I like that quality for a pizza because it "holds" the toppings in place instead of sliding them off.



I would not recommend this brand of cheese alternative for a creamy dish like macaroni and cheese. Although the cheddar has a good taste and the texture is good when served and eaten immediately, after it starts cooling the texture is just really off. My boys wouldn't touch it. :(


Price: $4.50 - $5.50 for a 10 oz. block


This brand of cheese freezes well. After opening, I shred the entire package immediately and freeze in a bag.

On a side note, I have one son that will eat this brand of cheese alternative straight from the package. It's not something I would do, but, hey... it's got protien, iron, calcium, and fiber! :)

3 comments:

SAHM said...

We tried this cheese a while back and loved it. It works great on pizza (as you said). I also like to shred the Monterrey Jack and Cheddar together and it is pretty good in tacos.

Jennifer said...

I just can't find a good dairy free cheese. This one I believe has caesin, so it still has milk proteins if I remember right. And man, I thought it tasted terrible. Daiya isn't much better, although everyone loves it so much. We just skip cheese and find it's so much better without having to find a cheese substitute.

My 3-year-old son had severe eczema until he was diagnosed with food allergies a few months back. I have a blog that shares our family’s battles with eczema, allergies, and asthma (yes, lucky guy has that too).

I think the key is to learn from one another, so the more information out there to the masses, the better. With this in mind I’ve started a blog hop for anyone dealing with allergies, eczema, or asthma, either for themselves or as a caregiver. If you’re interested in joining, please add a comment. I’d love to welcome you to the group. http://itchylittleworld.wordpress.com/blog-hop/


Thanks.
Jennifer

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Jennifer,

I absolutely agree - there is not a good dairy free cheese. I pretty much just gave up on recipes that needed cheese. It was just easier to do without those dishes than to make them taste decent. :)

I did want to comment regarding the casein, though. I have not purchased this cheese in quite some time, but at the time of this post it was definitely casein-free. I would hate to see that they have changed their ingredient list, but this just goes to show that one always needs to read labels.

Hope the blog hop goes well! :)

Becky @MustFollowRecipes